Blogging on a Friday afternoon because you want to put out a blog for the week, but your not sure what you want to write… I am doing exactly this. I don’t recommend this practice, I always tell clients “if you don’t have any good content to share, don’t share any content at all.” Now that confession is over, I am going to explain why you should only share quality content.
Google and other search engines develop their algorithms to enhance user experience. When Google’s crawlers go through content, they also see how many people are clicking to an article or website and how long a user is staying on the page. If your getting a lot of traffic but people click out of the page within 10-20 seconds, the search engines assume that the users are not pleased with the content on the page and you will be ranked lower in the SERP’s (search engine results page). Another pitfall to bad content is the lack of links to your page. No one wants to link to poor content and this also effects your search engine rankings. Remember this is not your personal blog, your posts need to be relative to your business and they need to be well written. Your blog is another piece of your companies brand, represent it well.
Here are 5 things to think about when writing blogs:
- Is it interesting and is it different from other articles?
- Did you include your keywords and phrases into the content and title?
- Is there an image? People love pictures.
- Is it too long? Will people take the time to read it?
- Make sure your title is interesting, catchy and clearly states what the article is about. Even if you have a great blog post, people will not click on it if the title doesn’t grab their attention.